We are issuing CA WIC Cards to eligible families. Shopping is easier than ever!
New and better ways to shop!
Hello CA WIC Card!
WIC used to provide food checks to our participants. But no more!
Better than food checks
How is the CA WIC Card better? Shopping is easier!
Planning to enroll in WIC?
When you become a WIC parent, we will give you your CA WIC Card.
- You will receive a CA WIC Card to carry with you.
- Shopping with your CA WIC Card will be like using a debit card.
- All your family’s benefits will be on one card.
- You will buy just the WIC foods you want when you shop.
- You will buy the rest of your WIC foods when you need them.
- You will be able to choose the right foods easily.
- You will see the foods and amounts you have left. This is called your WIC Food Balance.
- Download the WIC app. Android phones: Google Play – California WIC App iPhones: iPhone App Store- California WIC App
- Watch the video on this website.
- Or go to www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov and play the “Your California WIC Card” video in the top left corner.
- Think of a pin. When you use these 4 numbers, you will see the information that is yours, not someone else’s.
- You will be able to download the app if you have a smart phone. Android phones: Google Play – California WIC App iPhones: iPhone App Store- California WIC App
- You don’t have to use the CA WIC Card app, but if you do, you will see how helpful it is.
- You will be able to check your WIC Food Balance, your appointment dates and more!
- If you lose your CA WIC Card, call 1-844-469-3264.
- If you forget your pin, call the same number: 1-844-469-3264.
- If you have other CA WIC Card questions, call our central telephone office: 1-310-3080.
- If you have questions about the WIC Authorized Foods, call 1-844-469-3264.
- You will begin to learn about the CA WIC Card during the phone appointment when you enroll.
- We will help you become comfortable using the card.
- Your WIC educator will explain the CA WIC Card and help you select a pin if you don’t already have one.
Before you go shopping
Your WIC Food Balance will show the foods and the amounts available to your family during a specific period of time. Your WIC Food Balance will change each time you shop for your WIC foods.
Be sure to shop for all the foods shown on your WIC Food Balance within the allowed dates.
- Use the free CA WIC Card app on your smart phone.
- Or look at your store receipt from your last shopping trip.
- Or ask a cashier or customer service person at the store to print
your WIC Food Balance.
- Or call the toll free number on the back of your WIC Card,
- Or go online to:
- Get just the WIC foods you need during each shopping trip.
- Use your WIC Authorized Food List Shopping Guide, the free CA WIC Card app, and your WIC Food Balance.
- Separate your WIC foods from your non-WIC items as you shop to make checkout easier.
- Separate your WIC foods from your other foods. Some stores may need to scan your WIC items first.
- Tell the cashier you are using your CA WIC Card.
- Ask the cashier when it’s time to swipe your CA WIC Card and enter your PIN.
- Pay close attention as the cashier scans each WIC item.
- Swipe your CA WIC Card first before you purchase non-WIC foods. Make sure you always do this.
- Look over your WIC purchases and make sure all items are correct before your sale is totaled.
- Put back any of the foods in your cart that are not available in your WIC Food Balance, or plan to buy them using another form of payment, such as a personal debit card or cash.
- Tell the cashier if you want to put something back before the cashier gives you the final receipt.
(The cashier may give you a receipt or show you a screen to review your purchases.
- Confirm all your purchases are correct using the card machine.
- Give the cashier your store loyalty card and any coupons you have.
- Wait for the cashier to complete the sale and give you a final receipt.
- Save your receipt in a safe place, such as your wallet.
- When you read your receipt
- Your receipt will list the items you just bought.
- Your receipt will show what you have left in your WIC Food Balance.
- All family benefits will be combined.
- The receipt will show the last day you can buy the rest of your WIC foods. Your WIC Food Balance will expire at midnight on that day.