We are issuing CA WIC Cards to eligible families. Shopping is easier than ever!
What’s the CA WIC Card?
- WIC parents use it to buy WIC foods at the market.
- It looks like a debit card.
- It’s easier to use than food checks.
- WIC gives you the card when you enroll.
How to use the CA WIC Card
- You will receive a CA WIC Card to carry with you.
- Shopping with your CA WIC Card will be like using a debit card.
- All your family’s benefits will be on one card.
- You will buy just the WIC foods you want when you shop.
- You will buy the rest of your WIC foods when you need them.
- You will be able to choose the right foods easily.
- You will see the foods and amounts you have left. This is called your WIC Food Balance.
Getting ready for the CA WIC Card!
- Download the WIC app. Android phones: Google Play – California WIC App iPhones: iPhone App Store- California WIC App
- Watch the video on this website.
- Or go to www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov and play the “Your California WIC Card” video in the top left corner.
- Think of a pin. When you use these 4 numbers, you will see the information that is yours, not someone else’s.
Would you like to use the CA WIC Card app?
- You will be able to download the app if you have a smart phone. Android phones: Google Play – California WIC App iPhones: iPhone App Store- California WIC App
- You don’t have to use the CA WIC Card app, but if you do, you will see how helpful it is.
- You will be able to check your WIC Food Balance, your appointment dates and more!
Special phone numbers to save
- If you lose your CA WIC Card, call 1-844-469-3264.
- If you forget your pin, call the same number: 1-844-469-3264.
- If you have other CA WIC Card questions, call our central telephone office: 1-310-3080.
- If you have questions about the WIC Authorized Foods, call 1-844-469-3264.
Your special CA WIC Card appointment
- You will begin to learn about the CA WIC Card during the phone appointment when you enroll.
- We will help you become comfortable using the card.
- Your WIC educator will explain the CA WIC Card and help you select a pin if you don’t already have one.
Before you go shopping
- Check your WIC Food Balance to see which WIC foods you can buy, and how much of each.
- Look at your WIC shopping guide to see which brands you can choose.
Ways to learn your WIC Food Balancehttp://www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov
- Use the free CA WIC Card app on your smart phone.
- Or look at your store receipt from your last shopping trip.
- Or ask a cashier or customer service person at the store to print
your WIC Food Balance.
- Or call the toll free number on the back of your WIC Card,
- Or go online to:
At the store
- Get just the WIC foods you need during each shopping trip.
- Use your WIC Authorized Food List Shopping Guide, the free CA WIC Card app, and your WIC Food Balance.
- Separate your WIC foods from your non-WIC items as you shop to make checkout easier.
When you start to check out
- Separate your WIC foods from your other foods. Some stores may need to scan your WIC items first.
- Tell the cashier you are using your CA WIC Card.
- Ask the cashier when it’s time to swipe your CA WIC Card and enter your PIN.
- Pay close attention as the cashier scans each WIC item.
- Swipe your CA WIC Card first before you purchase non-WIC foods. Make sure you always do this.
After the cashier has scanned all your items
- Look over your WIC purchases and make sure all items are correct before your sale is totaled.
- Put back any of the foods in your cart that are not available in your WIC Food Balance, or plan to buy them using another form of payment, such as a personal debit card or cash.
- Tell the cashier if you want to put something back before the cashier gives you the final receipt.
(The cashier may give you a receipt or show you a screen to review your purchases.
- Confirm all your purchases are correct using the card machine.
- Give the cashier your store loyalty card and any coupons you have.
- Wait for the cashier to complete the sale and give you a final receipt.
- Save your receipt in a safe place, such as your wallet.
- When you read your receipt
- Your receipt will list the items you just bought.
- Your receipt will show what you have left in your WIC Food Balance.
- All family benefits will be combined.
- The receipt will show the last day you can buy the rest of your WIC foods. Your WIC Food Balance will expire at midnight on that day.